8.07.2009

piglet

For Chloe’s last weekend in Portland this summer, we decided to head to my friend Teresa’s house for a small, impromptu barbeque. Chloe and I had gone berry picking on Sauvie Island the day before with our wonderful friend, Maria, so I whipped up a mixed berry trifle and also pressed and fried some fresh corn tortillas to share.

Allow me to digress. Saturday, as we drove toward the island on which we would do our berry picking, we stopped at a red light on Highway 30 in north Portland. A big dump truck came motoring through the intersection just ahead of us, with its, um, clutching mechanism not quite tucked into the proper spot. As we gaped, open-mouthed and wide-eyed, the top of the truck caught on the overhanging light signal and power cord. SNAP! The power cord split and went flying through the air as I rushed to roll up my window. I envisioned the end of the cord jumping into the car and electrocuting us.

Nothing ultra dramatic happened as a result. I called 911 and confirmed for dispatch that no arcs of electricity were shooting up from the sidewalk. Emergency over.

Back to the barbeque. We packed up our supplies and drove to Newberg, the sleepy townlet where Teresa and her kids live. Upon arriving, we learned that Teresa’s daughter, Ali, had come down with some awful sickness and a fever of over 100 degrees. I had to hold Chloe back from running into Ali’s room to hug her.












We ate mass amounts of guacamole and tortilla chips and drank mojitos. Chloe and Tristan, Teresa’s son, sequestered themselves in Tristan’s room, playing with Hot Wheels. My Jesse provided complimentary dream interpretation services to another Jesse (I feel as though I shouldn’t capitalize the latter Jesse’s name!) while I snuggled with T’s darling new puppy, Winston. Badminton, flank steak tacos and 80’s music completed a lovely summer Sunday.


The next day I got the phone call. “Sara, the doctors think Ali has swine flu.”

Oh boy oh boy. For the next five days I closely monitored myself, feeling my forehead every few hours and pursing my lips in worry with each telltale cough. The CDC website instructs those who may have been exposed to swine flu to carry about with their usual business and to continue going to work. Now it’s Friday, the last day we would have likely come down with this evil sickness, and I’m feeling pretty good.

It’s been a harrowing week, but luckily we’ve all survived it.

No comments:

Post a Comment