4.20.2009

celebrity

Eat Mobile 2008 was a bust last April. We got off at the correct MAX station on the east side and the location of the festival, which I expected to be somewhat apparent, became a complete mystery that was never solved. After walking around the gritty, imposing blocks of one of the industrial parts of town, frustration growing and tempers growing short, I think we may have just gotten back on the MAX and headed home.

This year, however, we were ultra-prepared. Both Jesse and I independently secured directions and location markers before departing for the city. We picked up Danny along the way, who was lazily trailing the Yellow Line train we needed to hop on as he smoked a cigarette. To launch a weekend of punctual arrivals, we landed at the Disjecta art space, in the shadow of a giant Paul Bunyan, with time to spare. After a brief rumble/protest over the rampant line-cutting going on, we entered Roach Coach Heaven.

The lines were long, but the food and drink delicious. We sampled German sausage, veggie tamales, cookies, BBQ chicken and coleslaw, Czech food, 4 kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches, waffles, coffee, beer and vintage-inspired cocktails. Jesse's and Danny's votes went to the Czech goulash, while I went for the sausage and maple butter waffle. I keep finding myself dreaming of those grilled cheeses though... We particularly enjoyed the two dogs walking around without owners, who Jesse suggested had been
hired to clean the floors at the venue.

After reaching the point where additional food consumption was absolutely impossible (I couldn't fit a single bite of Italian street food or falafel), we headed back downtown to my new favorite bar, Kelly's Olympian. The place is neither Irish or Greek-inspired, instead soothing neon signs and motorcycles adorn the walls and ceiling. The first highlight was seeing two raincoat-clad, hairsprayed 40-somethings who strutted into the bar like it was a red carpet music awards event.

McKenzie and her folks showed up after several beers and several onion rings had been consumed. Our time with them (with her) was immensely too short, but we now have a long July visit to look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. I'll throw in my two cents regarding Kelly's Olympian here too. While space is limited, what is available lends itself to a great atmosphere, and the food & service is not to be ignored. If beer & chicken fried steak served by a good staff is your thing, then welcome home.

    ReplyDelete