5.02.2009

photobooth

I got to avoid work Friday because I had signed up for a day of training on Volunteer Management downtown. I was happy to get out the door on time and catch the MAX I had hoped to catch. Somehow it's easier to be punctual when routine is broken. I rode to Portland and decided to grab a cup of coffee before trying to find the building in the Pearl District where the training was to be held.

I decided to hit up Stumptown Coffee next to the delightfully hip Ace Hotel. I took a place in the substantial line and eyed the fantastic bready pastries on display. Then Ethan Suplee, Randy from "My Name is Earl", walked in the door and asked if I was the last in line. He moved behind me and launched a conversation about my camera, which was hanging from my neck.

A fun way to start the day! (I just found out he's a Scientologist.)

I got my coffee and prized three-berry brioche and headed towards the Pearl. My coffee splashed wildly while I walked, threatening to drench and ruin my afore-mentioned camera.

I found the EcoTrust building after just a moment of fear that I was lost and was going to be late for the 8:30am training. I had never been inside before, and I was immediately taken by the quirky, nature-inspired, very-Portland architecture and interior design. The lobby was open and light, and the walls were decorated with pleasing art and installments. Nearly every surface was a different texture, color, material. I took a couple short walks around the space during breaks and tried to document the variety.

The training was long but informative. It was somewhat difficult to sit in the same room all day and to have to interact with so many strangers (i.e. "Walk around the room and when you come upon someone you haven't met, say Hello, my name is ___ and the worst meeting I ever attended was ___."). I was happy when 4:00pm rolled around and I could venture back out into the warm, busy streets of downtown Portland. As someone who never runs into anyone I know in public (because my social circle is so minuscule), I was surprised to cross paths with a friend from a printmaking class I took months ago. Then another friend happened to board the same packed-full MAX car I was riding. Unusual.


The day concluded with a small barbecue. My friend Sara came over and Jesse cooked steaks, asparagus and corn on the cob for dinner. We discovered our socially inept freak-out cat, Oliver, hiding silently in our bathtub and Jesse was able to get a nice Polaroid photo. It was a strange day, somewhat trying, but ultimately relaxing and hinting of the summer that's just around the corner.

2 comments:

  1. I love the texture shots. I think Oliver and I should switch places in life. I can be socially inept and hide in your bathtub, and Oliver can come keep A company and pay the bills. Do you think he would go for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oliver might go for it, but A would not...he needs intellectually stimulating conversation, something that Oliver just can't provide! The "pay the bills" part reminds me of an article I read about a couple who attached a camera to their cat's collar and then sold the photos in art galleries!

    ReplyDelete